Saturday, May 3, 2008

Day 1, continued

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Okay! I heard from several of you that you couldn't open the attachment, so here it is in its entirety. Barb asked how Cal was getting my purse to me. He went to FedEx and had it overnighted. I'll let you know what happened in today's episode. In the meantime, here's the rest of yesterday:
After getting no answer on Cal’s cell, the security guard told me I could fly with no ID, but I’d have to go through extra security measures. Well, I have to get on the plane because I don’t even have a way to get Cal to pick me up. AnnaMarie, whatever fantasy world you are living in, one cannot – I repeat – cannot arrive at the airport ½ hour before a flight and expect to get on a plane. As we were driving in the roadside sign was flashing “high security alert”. The friggin’ line was out the door and halfway down the sidewalk past baggage claim! Besides the usual twisty, turny, snakelike section just before the screeners.
I managed to get on board after being frisked and all my possessions searched and wiped down for suspicious substances. I’m dying of thirst by now and can hardly wait for the plane to take off so I can have a drink. As I’m eating my little bag of cinnamon sticks I was thinking of the nice snacks I’d packed in my purse. *sigh*
When I get to Austin and collect my luggage I went to the Hertz car rental counter but, oh gosh, they can’t rent me a car without a drivers license. So sorry. I asked if they could call Farmers so I could ask someone to pick me up which they very willingly did. They were really very nice. I spoke with Adrian and he said he’d send Scott and have him meet me at the Hertz counter.
In the meantime, Cal had me paged at the airport with a message to call him back. Call him back! I HAVE NO MONEY. I haven’t used a payphone in years. Turns out you can use your credit card (I was just going to call collect, okay!) and fortunately, I have my credit card number memorized, including the 3 digit security code. Cal obviously figured out that I didn’t have my purse – I think it was when he called my cell and it rang right beside him that he realized what a predicament I was really in. He noticed it when he got to work and went in to tell his boss he was taking the day off and was trying to get hold of me. Paged me at the Oakland airport, but I think we’d already left by then. Here’s the kicker, as we’re landing in San Diego it dawns on me that I could have had the security guard call MY phone and Cal would have answered it and the story might have ended there. Too few brain cells that early in the morning.
Adrian called back (the Hertz people are now becoming my messenger service) and he didn’t really have anyone available because Scott was going to the dentist and Peggy was working from home. He had to go rescue his wife who just had 2 flat tires! He told me they got together $60 and left it at the front desk so I could take a shuttle or a taxi and pay when I got there.
The information booth lady told me to do the shuttle because it was MUCH cheaper, but when I asked if I could pay when they drop me off they said no! He did say I could pay by credit card … and hey! I know my number! Told him if he didn’t have to see it, I was all good.
So I did manage to get to the office after all. It looks much nicer in the pictures. And Heather, the fleet cars aren’t nearly as well kept up as yours! Peggy was telling me their guy does a really good job. HAH. The gas tank isn’t full and the car is dirty inside and out. Whatever. I’m hoping to pick up my rental tomorrow.
I have a really nice room (Peggy had to come with me to use her corporate credit card to hold the room until my purse arrives) with a kitchenette – and no food! There was a bag of popcorn here that I microwaved and devoured. I drank 2 cups of tea. Now I’m just counting the hours until the complimentary buffet breakfast tomorrow. As luck would have it, they also have complimentary dinners on Tues, Wed and Thurs. Tomorrow night is deli sandwiches and chips, Wed. is BBQ and Thurs is Frito pie. Yeah .. don’t ask me. This is Texas. If it sounds like I’m obsessing about the food it’s because I am. I’m hungry!
The best part of this place is they have a library! Can you believe it. My books are in my purse. I have nothing to read, but they have a library! Take a book and leave one. Great philosophy. I’m taking one and returning it at the end of the week. They have free wireless internet too, so I can jump on Netflix and use the “watch now” feature to watch a movie. I love Netflix!
As bad as this day has been it can only go up from here. It does make for a good story and I met some really nice people on the shuttle. In fact, the gentleman I sat next to was from Alabama where he says it was cold. I said I just came from CA and it was very nice out. He asked where in CA, and turns out he has a daughter who lives in San Francisco and a son who lives in Castro Valley! Small world.
Okay, I’m signing off for day 1. Stay tuned for more adventures. (you know the rest of the week will be BORING)

No comments: